Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wet Wednesday

Today's forgotten word from The Word Museum:

peppering shower -- One in which the rain descends like hail, or like the pepper from the peppering-box. Also known as falling-weather.

Indeed it is.

Hard to believe that it's the middle of June ... chilly, rainy ... the temperature right now is 61F/16C and everything is damp, damp, damp. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I'd much rather have this than scorching heat and unbearable humidity. It's just mind-boggling how much the weather has changed since I was a kid. Weather was predictable then. The Dog Days of Summer encompassed the last two weeks in July and the first two weeks of August. Last year those Dog Days were in June. This year ... who knows? I guess I'll just take it as it comes, one day at a time, and be thankful I didn't choose meteorology as a profession.

Most of my time today, when I wasn't waiting on customers, was spent clipping coupons. Not just any coupons, but coupons for Coupons To Troops, a program which gets manufacturer's coupons to service personnel and their families overseas. Post commissaries and exchanges allow the use of coupons up to six months past their expiration date, so the "girls" at the bank got together and donated their unwanted and expired coupons to this worthy cause.

Amy and I finished up this evening.



It doesn't look like much, but there's a lot of coupons in that basket!



Then we sorted them into piles ...



Food, health & beauty, pets, baby and miscellaneous non-food.



This one was our favorite Isn't it adorable??



Timber supervised.



Check out the Coupons to Troops website and consider giving your unused coupons a second life.

And in tribute to our "falling-weather" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment